Thursday, November 27, 2014

I Gotta Guy...

I’m not girly. I’m still a tomboy. Hair has got to be easy.

So getting my hair “done” for the first part of my life was a squirm-inducing proposition. It is so INTIMATE. It has to be someone with whom you be up close and VERY personal.

And then, the year Zack was born, there was the grey hair – lots of it – and it came fast. By 35, I was almost completely grey.

And the comments started…

In an elevator with a four year Zack, someone said “Isn’t it wonderful you can spend so much time with your GRANDSON!”

And TWICE– Earle was mistaken for my son: “I see your son is home from college, I saw him out riding his bike”. My sons were in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.

So finally I found a chick I liked to do my hair. She had this glorious mane of riotously curly black hair and a New York accent. And finally – over many months – she gently persuaded me to color my hair.

And I loved it!

(Aside: I met Zack at the bus stop that day – he was in Kindergarten – he saw my “new hair” – hated it – ran home – threw himself on his bed – and sobbed for the rest of the afternoon that he wanted his “old” mother back! But I digress…)

And I liked the chick – Janice saw me regularly – tried different shades of color – was steady and patient and kind. And finally I had someone for the long-term who could deal with my hair AND with me. And my boys.

Until life got in the way. Marriage – kids – and somehow she thought HER FAMILY needed her more than MY FAMILY. I don’t get that, but luckily she had a husband who could do my hair.
So her husband took over. And Earl, a man’s man, Air Force veteran, started doing my hair. And soon he was doing mine, Earle’s, Nat’s and Zack’s. (And yes, that’s right – the two most important men in my life are named Earl(e).)

And he’s good too – really good – precise, creative and patient. And really kind.

He listens so well that once teenaged Nat went for a haircut at an appointment before mine. Earl trimmed Nat’s hair a wee bit, just as Nat asked. And I then I arrived and Earl had to cut it all over again to suit me…

And so time has passed and our family has had the care of this wonderful couple from 1994 to present – they've been in our lives 20 years – during this time we've  all worked hard on our families and shared the same dreams, goals, and faith.   Our family has been just been so blessed to know theirs. “My” Earle and I were recently invited to the B’nai Mitzvah for their children – what a mountaintop experience! What a privilege! 

The Glass Family  (photo courtesy of me stealing from Janice's FB page.)


And now, Earl even does Mary Frances’ hair. She was hesitant at first to have a male stylist, but now she’s head over heels.

And so – yeah – I gotta hair guy….and I couldn't be happier…

Recently I had my nails done for my son’s wedding – for the first time in my life. I tried out a local nail place just this week to have them redone. By chance, a man did my nails – he’s an ex-trucker and electrician. He is a reader – and can recount by title, character, setting and plot of all the novels of LaVyrle Spencer. I liked him – he was patient and kind. And I was at ease with him.


So maybe, just maybe,

 I gotta nail guy….

No comments:

Post a Comment