Saturday, March 16, 2019

Half of a Pair - Elaine Draper Fisher - 1951-2019




Half of a Pair
Mary Elaine Draper Slaughter Fisher
 April 27, 1951 - March 10, 2019



My fitbit
kept count
of my heartbeats for years,
then suddenly,
it stopped. 
8:30 pm, Monday night.

8:30 Monday night,
You must have been in trouble. 
Your own lungs,
your own heart,
struggling. 

And then, suddenly,
stopped. 
2:00 pm, Sunday.

You and I,
we loved our jewelry.
Nothing expensive,
but baubles to amuse ourselves.

On Tuesday
as I journeyed to your bedside,
and somewhere
along the way,
I lost 1/2 of a pair of earrings
that I wore almost daily. 
That night, 
just gone.

And on the next Tuesday
we laid you beside Mama's still vacant spot,
I lost another half of a pair of pearls 
that dropped from my ears like tears.

Your heart stilled
and like 1/2 of a matched set lost,
you were gone forever. 

We were created in the same place,
in the same space.
The Draper Girls. 
One fat, one thin. 
So different, yet so alike.
We shared our love of
Our mother,
Animals,
Books, 
Baubles,
Chocolate,
Shopping, 
Sunny days,
and especially, 
our love of the Lord. 

Rest gently in His broad arms,
until the day I join you and 
we become 
a matched set
again. 




2 comments: