Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Flying the Friendly Skies

As a child of the 60s and 70s, I grew up on television: The Wonderful World of Disney, Lassie, Bewitched, I Dream of Genie. And behind these iconic shows beat the constant thrum of advertising. Especially memorable were those for airlines. Flying seemed so exciting (“Fly the Friendly Skies of United!”) International flying seemed downright exotic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLFeqsCaeJ4

I’ve always loved to fly - since the first time I went up with a crop duster as a kid. Taking flight seemed impossible, thrilling. I loved it! Especially that moment when the plane is picking up speed and suddenly, you are aloft! My spirits soared right along with the aircraft!  

Until, the wearying, standing-in-lengthy-TSA-lines, rude, overpacked experience today that is currently known as air travel. Where you are packed into sardine size seats and tossed a packet of pretzels and handed a cup (not a whole can!) of soda by a bored, casually dressed flight attendant who rolls past your seat with a rickety inflight snack cart.

But wait, brothers and sisters! ! I’m here to testify that the old Trans World Airline experience still lives! On Japan Airlines!



After a harried, American Airlines puddle jumper to JFK, we transferred to JAL for our 14 hour flight to Narita. Someone forgot to tell this airline what has happened to air travel in the 2010s, because this - this was the old TWA experience. Carefully presented for me, their cherished customer!

I know, I know - some of this is just the Japaneses company-customer business model, but my whole world view shifted immediately.

First - we did pay  extra - not exorbitantly extra like first or business class, but extra, for  PREMIUM ECONOMY seats. Not first class, by a long shot - but definitely not regular economy. (We needed extra room for Earle’s long legs and with his history of blood clots were willing to pay.)

The seats were actually roomy, comfortable, and inviting! They reclined WITHOUT putting you in your neighbor’s lap,  had small privacy partitions so you could rest your head even if you didn’t have a window seat, and small individual book lamps that only lit up your book and not your half of the plane. (They had me at booklight.) And plugs - standard and USB. The tray was adjustable - and  two cup holders. And blessed leg and foot room.

Awaiting us in our seats were fresh pillows and blankets, noise reducing headphones for the state of the art individual touch screens for movies/info/maps, and SLIPPERS. A quick peek at our neighbors showed that yes - everyone had their slippers on and we knew to don them as well. (Well, not Earle, who wears a size 14.)  


And the stewardesses! They were amazing!

Yes - I know stewardess is the inappropriate title for flight attendants. It is sexist and demeaning in today’s point of view. But I mean it in the nicest way, honest. These women who managed our area were  true stewardesses, throwbacks from a time of elegance and exclusivity. They were impeccably dressed: navy blue skirts with  jaunty pleats, navy vests  with crisp blouses, and colorful scarves. They were all Japanese; trim, graceful, lovely without exception. They wore their jet black hair in updos that would have looked perfect accompanying a Chanel 60s’ ensemble. They moved soundlessly throughout the cabin. When you were addressed by a stewardess, you felt they were genuinely concerned about you, personally. I felt cared for. I felt appreciative. I felt humbled. I felt relaxed.

And the food! I had been trained by the current state of affairs in the US to expect so little. But it was amazing! And plentiful! The tempura I had on the flight was as good as any I had in country! How they pulled off that magic hours into our flight, I don’t know! And of course, meals were preceded by a warm moist towelette. Snacks were equally delicious - including ramen. Both meals were served with tiny boxes of extras - pickled vegetables, small servings of delicately prepared fruit - and cups of miso soup.  Every taste, from the lotus root to the green tea “chaser” was carefully curated.



Every experience had been considered. The bathrooms were sparkling and had toothbrushes and mouthwash available. Before “lights out”, stewardesses offered eye masks and other amenities. Part and parcel, it was an amazing flight.

So yes, Virginia, there is still an elegant air travel experience still out there. Believe.

As we exited our aircraft amid muscial ‘goodbyes’ I again marveled at our stewardesses. They looked fresh, rested, and relaxed. More magic.

And though I knew I was wrinkled, grungy, and weary, their goodwill and kindness made me feel a little fresher, too.

Thanks, Japan Airlines!




No comments:

Post a Comment